Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Grim Sleeper Trial.. February 23rd

I had planned to get to the Courtroom later today as I had a busy morning... however I received a frantic call from Ricky at 11.10am saying that he'd been 'thrown out of the Courtroom and isn't allowed back'! And can I get there sooner than the 1.30pm time that i had planned.   I couldn't believe it, that he of all people would have been thrown out.  He did explain that he was sitting there, minding his own business as he usually does, and the Defense just laid in to him telling him that he can no longer be there as he is a 'witness for the Defense'.  Well, apparently that is the very first time Ricky heard of that.  In fact, he feels so strongly that if Ricky, his friend for almost 3 decades, really committed these atrocities, then he wants them (the State) to 'fry his arse/ass'!  His words entirely.
Sad but true.  Ricky cared about Lonnie for many years, he trusted him as a friend and a neighbour, but if he did the crimes in which he stands accused, then Ricky would be the first one to make sure he receives the Death Penalty.  This is a far cry from Lonnie's other neighbour and friend from the other side.  Paul Williams will stand by Lonnie all the way to the end.   We will see what happens over these intense next few months.

Video Blog is here and below:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hys8wg9R_ug

I knew what I had to do before I went in to the Courtroom after lunch break at 1.30pm and that was to talk to whoever could get Ricky back in to the Courtroom.  As I rode the elevator to the 9th floor I knew that I wanted to talk to Detective Dupree first and foremost.  I could see that he was on the phone, once I had made it through the metal detectors, so I walked down the corridor and sat with the victims family members and shared pleasantries with them.

As soon as I saw Detective Dupree off the phone I went up to him and explained the situation about Ricky.  He told me that he's been trying to get hold of Ricky for years and hadn't heard back.  I told him that he'd been living in Atlanta for the past year as his Aunt is dying, but he's here now and he wants to be 'no part of the Defense!'  I told Det. Dupree that he really wants to get back in to the Courtroom and he told me that it's the Defense who through him out and not him.  I knew that but I certainly didn't want to talk to the Defense.  
I saw Dale Atherton (part of the Defense team) coming towards me as I waited by the door to go in and when he gave me a smile I felt that I should speak to him, as it was for Ricky anyway and not myself.  
"Dale, could you please let Ricky Harris back in to the Courtroom as I can assure you he won't be a good witness for you by any means.   He came here from Atlanta and needs to be here and sit in on the case.  Even though before he might've thought Lonnie was innocent, now it's a very different story."
Dale responded that Seymour is the main guy to speak with.  I said that he's not a balanced human being and it's hard to have a conversation with him, so could he please do it for me. So, Dale went off back down the hallway to speak to Seymour Amster on behalf of Ricky to get him back in the Courtroom.  Dale then came back to me and said I"m sorry but Mr. Amster is in a conversation with someone and he cannot butt in.  Minutes later Amster comes storming down the hallway and I had to grab my opportunity.... "Mr Amster, could I just ask you to please reconsider your decision to ask Mr Richard Harris to leave the Courtroom today, he would not be a good witness for you at all and he came all the way here from Atlanta to sit in on this case as he's known Lonnie for almost 30 years?"   In his usual flustered way, with his big lips open and protruding out of his face, he said "Well I"ll just have to see about that by the end of the day." He answered in his usual flustered manner.  Well that gives some hope to the situation of Ricky being let back in soon.

At 1.30pm we went in after lunch break.
Lonnie was walked in and was wearing a dark blue shirt, beige slacks and a tie which he awkwardly placed over his head so he could make it look like a real tie before the Jury walked in.

At 1.36pm the Jurors walked in, still coming through the main door that we all walk in.

Supria Rosner was the witness testifying and confirming that the DNA found on the bodies of both Bernita Sparks and Barbara Ware were indeed that of the Defendant Lonnie Franklin.  The Defense, Seymour Amster was doing his best to mitigate this claim by saying that "You have no idea how many cousins or relatives Mr Franklin might have that might not be in the Database do you?"  Even the Judge almost chuckled to herself with his outrageous question.  He went on to try to convince the Jury that the policies and equipment for testing the DNA might not be quite up to par.   Most of what he said didn't even make sense and a number of times the Judge had to say.

"I don't understand your question Mr Amster."  And then turning to the witness, "Do you?"

The witness explained that after thorough testing the chance that the DNA might be someone other than Mr Franklin is  1 in 81 quadrillion or 7 times the population of the earth.  Only then did it seem that he understood.  

A number of times, Mr Amster seemed frantically searching for something, walking back and fourth from the podium to his chair and back again, looking under his papers, knocking the DA's chair as he went.   He was clearly out of sorts.

The next witness called to the stand was Cristina Gonzalez.   Gonzalez is a senior criminalist for Los Angeles County and she has been there for 26 years.  She explained how she came to the conclusion that the DNA found on the body of Princess Berthomieux was in fact the Defendant Lonnie Franklin.

More of these details will be in my book....

We adjourned for the day at 4.08pm and when the Jury were released, we then were free to go.

I walked from  CCB only a few blocks to meet my friend Terri over at the Bonaventure for a well earned glass of wine.  She recently retired from the LAPD and was the very first female helicopter pilot to be hired, now she is in charge of the Retirees.  It was great to finally relax and chat about everything under the sun and not this heavy Trial.

To be continued......




No comments:

Post a Comment